Born in Dublin in 1951, Alan Shatter was first elected to the Dáil in 1981 as a Fine Gael T.D.and was re-elected at each subsequent election until he lost his seat in the 2002 general election. He was re-elected at the 2007 general election. Shatter was a member of Dublin County Council from 1979 to 1999 for the Rathfarnham area.
Mervyn Taylor, born 1931, grew up in Dublin and attended Zion National School, Wesley College and Trinity College where he qualified as a solicitor. His parents, Abel and Miriam Judith (nee Copperman) grew up in Poland.
The second son of Abraham William Briscoe and Ida Yodaiken from Lithuania, Robert Briscoe was born in Dublin in 1894. Both of his parents were leading members of the Dublin Jewish Community. The young Briscoe grew up with his three brothers and three sisters in a loving family home above their father’s business on the […]
Ben Briscoe, youngest son of Robert and Lillian Briscoe was born in Killiney in 1934, he had two younger sisters and one older as well as three older brothers. He grew up during the period of his father’s life when Bob was absent from home through his involvement in the fight for survival of Europe’s […]
He was named Yael when he was born: Yael ben Laben Yahuda ha Cohane. His brothers and sisters called each other by nick-names and they called him Gerald. He was frequently known as GY. They lived at 10 Parnell Place, Cork. His parents had come from Lithuania, and married in Cork 23rd September 1891. As […]
The Lady of Desart had the freedom of the city of Kilkenny conferred on her in 1910 – which according to her at the time made her the only woman in Ireland with this honour and the only Jewess in the world to be made an honorary citizen
The Jaffe family moved to Belfast from Hamburg in 1852 where Daniel Joseph Jaffe (b.1809) was a successful linen merchant. The family soon developed the linen industry in Belfast where Daniel Jaffe built the city’s first synagogue.
Lewis Harris came from Stuttgart and settled in Dublin in 1833. He was a cloth merchant, a jeweller and general agent to officers in the Army and Navy. His successful business was in Suffolk Street and he lived in Lower Baggot Street. He was three times President of the Dublin Hebrew Congregation and a much revered communal leader.